Muhlesteins

Tales of Muhlesteins Far and Wide

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Selling the Laptop Again

Well, after procrastinating for too long, I decided I better go ahead and list my laptop for sale again. This time, in addition to spicing up the details a bit, I set a reserve.

Here is something I found out about reserve fees. The fee for reserving the value of the auction is much less than the fee for starting the bid higher (1%). In addition, when you start the bid lower, it encourages early bidders (who then are more likely to bid more toward the end). Another bonus is that when the item sells, the reserve fee is refunded.

Anyhow, I decided to start the bid at $9.99. Someone could use the Buy-It-Now option and get it for $1479 with free shipping. We'll see if I have more luck selling it this time than last!

Know anyone that needs a laptop?: Sony Vaio K37, Pentium-4 3.2 G w/ 1 Gig Ram.

Hope I have more success than last time.

6 Comments:

Blogger Dennis said...

EEEK, this is getting off to a bad start. Some stupid Nigeria Scammer used the buy-it-now option and purchased the laptop.

I asked eBay to relist the item or refund the listing fee. I'm real sick of this.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Dennis said...

I thought for kicks I'd post the contents of the email:

== STUPID DUMB NIGERIA SCAMMER EMAIL ==
Hello,
Compliment of the day,I am Brenda Williams from NY USA,but Presently in London,UK for a church seminal.I saw your product item below on ebay #6798821798 and i am really intrested in buying it for my Daugther as a surprise gift for her in school(university of lagos)at Nigeria. I will handle the shipment expenses,i will send you my FedEx account number so you will not pay no money for shipping.
I will be sending you payment via PayPal,so kindly send me your PAYPAL EMAIL ADDRESS so as to immediately make out your payment and make sure you get the package ready for shipment,you can ship the item as soon as you recieve the paypal confirmation.Expecting your reply so as to immediately make out the payment.
Regards,
Brenda Williams
....... If terms are acceptable.send me your PAYPAL EMAIL ADDRESS and i will make out your payment immed1ately and you will receive the payment comfirmation from paypal.

== END STUPID NIGERIA SCAMMER EMAIL ==

Are people still be falling for this stuff somewhere?

9:17 AM  
Blogger Dennis said...

I just noticed my scammer is a poet too..

Notice their first sentence:
Compliment of the day,
I am Brenda Williams from NY USA,
Presently in London, UK,
...

10:22 AM  
Blogger Dennis said...

Well, Ebay hasn't responded about refunding my auction fee + selling fee yet. Their site says it takes 24-48 hours to get a response.

The short answer is YES, the laptop is still for sale.

8:33 PM  
Blogger Dennis said...

Oh I definately will post if I sell :D
You can email me directly here:
djmuhlestein at nospam gmail.com
after the appropriate edits :D

8:53 PM  
Blogger Dennis said...

HA!, You can request a final auction fee credit on eBay if you didn't sell the item. I fully expected this for the last time when the Scammer got it. I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to request the auction fee back for the first sale too.

Now ebay owes me $22.00!

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home